I spent this morning at DCM Europe, 40 minutes of which was on a panel discussing pricing models, magazine publishing and tablet computers. In a (possibly failed) effort to marshal my thoughts, I wrote this yesterday — seven random arguments on the tablet opportunity.
Here are those seven thoughts — and even after a pretty robust discussion, I still believe they have a fair amount of merit:
1. The free trial might be the nearest publishers get to freemium
2. The games console model might just work for apps
3. Publishers want to own the relationship with their readers
4. Apple must deliver new subscribers or publishers will walk
5. Responsive design is an opportunity and a threat to paywalled tablet content
6. Android is a good medium term bet
7. The Daily was a success story. Sort of
You can read the full article over at the Press Gazette.