Journalism.co.uk’s Rachel McAthy spoke to New York Times’ Paul Smurl before the Easter break to mark the second anniversary of the paper’s move behind a metered paywall.
The interview is worth listening to in full but here are a few lessons I took away from it:
1. It can be worth trading (some) ad revenue for subscription revenue…
2. …so long as you don’t lose too many readers
3. Digital subscriptions can help print circulation
4. Hostility towards the paywall model has softened
5. Amazon and Apple have taught people to pay online